Accessibility & Special Needs
K.Hovnanian Children's Hospital is dedicated to accommodating the special needs of all of our patients.
Our staff members will do their best to assist your family in whatever physical or language barriers you may face in order to fully participate in the patient's care. Please discuss any special needs you or child may have with your nurse.
Some of the ways we can meet special needs include the following:
- Telecommunications devices for the deaf (TDD/TYY) are available to facilitate communications. Flashing, visual ringing devices and amplifiers are available for your telephone. In addition, easy-to-read, large-numbered phones are obtainable upon request.
- Televisions can be adapted for closed-captioned viewing with the simple installation of a decoder box.
- Special hands-free touch pads / call devices are available to aid in communicating your needs with the nurse if you are unable to use an intercom system. Communications posters are available on all units to assist in identifying care needs.
- Translators for a variety of languages are available within the Medical Center. You can access the list of available staff or the AT&T Language Line by contacting your nurse for information.
- Alarms that give off flashing lights to alert the hearing impaired of a fire are available in certain areas of the Medical Center. For the visually impaired and hearing impaired, the Medical Center also provides a vibrating alarm.
- To help you pass the hours, the Medical Center maintains large-print books for the visually impaired. Contact Volunteer Services for more information
- Signs indicating room numbers, elevators, bathrooms, and exits are raised and written in Braille. Additionally, there is an ATM machine on the ground floor with raised numbers.
- All entrances are equipped with electronic doors and wheelchair access ramps. Public bathrooms, elevators, and water fountains are also wheelchair accessible.
- Handicapped parking is available near all entrances to the Medical Center. Van-accessible entrances are located on the east side of the hospital and near the main entrance. Disabled individuals may also use our valet parking service, when available, free of charge.