Our commitment to improving the health of children stems from the original focus and rich history of Jersey Shore University Medical Center.
Following are some key moments from our shared history which speak to our development and establishment as the region’s first state-designated children’s hospital in Monmouth and Ocean counties.
- In 1904, Mrs. Albionia N. Whartenby donated land in Spring Lake, N.J., for the establishment of a 50-bed convalescent home for women and children.
- The following year, the Home was converted to a hospital and renamed the Ann May Memorial Homeopathic Hospital, in memory of Mrs. Whartenby’s late daughter, Ann May Whartenby Robinson.
- By 1932, the hospital had grown to include 150 beds and was moved to its permanent location on Corlies Avenue in Neptune. At that point, it was renamed the Raleigh Fitkin-Paul Morgan Memorial Hospital.
- In 1966, the Hospital was renamed Jersey Shore Medical Center – Fitkin Hospital.
- By 1990, the expanding hospital became the region’s only Level II Trauma Center with a pediatric commitment within the bi-county area.
- In 2002, Jersey Shore was accepted as a full member of the National Association of Children’s Hospitals and Related Institutions, becoming the only hospital in the region with this designation.
- The following year, Jersey Shore became Jersey Shore University Medical Center, designating its new status as a university hospital affiliate of the University of Medicine and Dentistry of New Jersey – Robert Wood Johnson Medical School. The children’s hospital was included in this designation.
- In 2006, the children’s hospital located in Jersey Shore University Medical Center became the first state-designated children’s hospital in the bi-county area and was renamed K. Hovnanian Children’s Hospital. The designation recognizes years of advanced pediatric clinical care services provided by Jersey Shore.
- In 2008, the Children’s Hospital expanded to include a teen lounge, a satellite nursing station, and additional pediatric rooms, bringing its total number of beds up to 31 (plus a six bed pediatric intensive care unit). The rest of the rooms received an aesthetic overhaul, with family friendly features, such as flat-screen televisions.
- In the summer of 2009, K. Hovnanian Children’s Hospital opened a dedicated pediatric Emergency Department (ED), as part of Jersey Shore’s $300 million transformation project. The ED now has a separate entrance and triage area, as well as 10-12 pediatric beds.
K.Hovnanian Children’s Hospital
at Jersey Shore University Medical Center
1945 Route 33
Neptune, NJ 07753